Who are traineeships for?
Traineeships are designed to help 16 to 24 year olds develop the skills and work experience to get ready for an apprenticeship or job. Some young people leave school without gaining the essential soft skills needed to take their first step onto the career ladder. A traineeship will combine training and qualifications with substantial and meaningful work experience to ensure they have the skills employers are looking for in a future employee.
How does a traineeship work?
Traineeships with Gloucestershire College include an 8 week intensive in-classroom learning course known as our ‘Skills Accelerator’ programme to develop employability skills as well as English, Maths and Digital capabilities. This programme is then followed by a 6-week work placement with one of our partner employers.
What are the benefits for employers?
- There is no cost or fees for taking on a trainee as all costs are met by government funding. There isn’t a requirement to provide a trainee with a wage (although you can if you would like to).
- Employers who make new work placement opportunities available can receive incentive payments of £1,000 per trainee, for up to 10 learners.
- Through offering a work placement, employers will be able to get to know the young person and see whether they have the potential to become a future apprentice or employee for your organisation. If you decide to offer the individual an apprenticeship, your business could be entitled to receive further government grants of up to £3,000.
- Traineeships are designed to be as flexible and simple as possible so can be tailored to suit the needs of your business.
- Traineeships bring enthusiastic young people into your business and can offer extra support to your team and increased productivity during busy periods.
- Taking on trainees will give your current employees experience in training and mentoring, whilst also shaping the skills and future of young people within your local community.
Build your talent pipeline and receive incentive payments when you hire apprentices.
Offer a 6-month work placement to a young person to help start their career.
Our EmployerTraining & Apprenticeships team can offer your business expert advice about Apprenticeships, Traineeships and the Kickstart Scheme. Get in touch today via: email@example.com or fill in the contact form above.