The benefits of using Gloucestershire College to support your recruitment strategy
It’s that time of year again. Hundreds of thousands of young people will be sitting exams, and planning for a future after school or college.
With a wave of leavers about the flood the market, this offers local businesses a unique opportunity to tap into this river of fresh talent.
As a leading training provider, GC, has developed apprenticeship schemes across Gloucestershire for a number of years. This strategy has paid dividends for both businesses and its new recruits, bringing much recognition for this continued contribution to local skills development.
Recruiting young people allows a business to embrace a motivated, enthusiastic and digital-savvy audience. Younger employees can inject a fresh perspective and are quick to adapt to new ways of working. They grew up in a digital age, are keen to impress and are hungry for career development. This is a great time to review succession plans and fill skill gaps.
Introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy
Launched in May, the Apprenticeship Levy is designed to enable employers to contribute to the costs of delivering 3 million more apprenticeships by 2020. That’s 3 million fresh, skilled, motivated workers that have the skills employers want. And for those businesses under the £3m wage bill threshold, a new 10% contribution to training costs represents an excellent investment in qualifications that would normally cost thousands.
These changes are causing many local organisations to consider the impact this will have on their recruitment and ongoing learning and development strategy.
How to catch your fresh talent
Returning to the watery metaphor, fishing for fresh talent can be a challenge and like any day on the riverbank, can end without a bite. That is where GC comes in. Training more than 15,000 learners a year, GC are experts in matching work-ready college leavers with local businesses. Our wide industry expertise and partnership approach means we understand what skills, attitudes and behaviours best fit an employer’s requirements.
So, whether you’re a company hiring for a vacant position now, or an individual looking for a new opportunity this summer, there are major benefits to using Gloucestershire College to support your recruitment strategy. These include:
- As a leading provider of FE and HE qualifications, GC has, over time, built a wide variety of connections across their specialist sectors. This will increase your chances of getting the best possible fit for both the employer and candidate.
- Training more than 15,000 learners and delivering more than 1000 apprenticeships a year, GC knows the young audience. We have access to an unrivalled talent pool on your doorstep. We have worked with these young people, watched them develop and understand their aspirations. This helps us match the best candidates for the job.
- When you are job hunting, often for the first time, how fantastic would it be to give your CV to just one person and let the opportunities come to you? Well, that’s exactly what happens with our Apprenticeship Recruitment Service, working with a range of great local brands.
- Save thousands in time and money. The most recent CIPD statistics suggest that recruiting a new member of staff on average costs £5k. A College can do this for free, including advertising, screening, shortlisting and supporting the actual interview process – and you still retain 100% control over who you employ.
- With an unrivalled network of employer partners locally, GC can offer impartial advice on salary. This can ensure expectations are set for both parties before the interview takes place.
- Working with apprentices allows the opportunity to embed an organisational culture from day one of a training programme. As a provider that is proud of its tradition, we understand how important this is. It means we can offer candidates who are the best fit, ensuring they know your brand and the company vision so they can thrive!
- Working with apprentices affords your business the ability to strategically develop an employee, and subsequent organisational capability. As GC is measured on successful completion of an apprenticeship, getting the right person for the job benefits everyone.
The GC Business Hub has a dedicated team of Business Consultants who can work with you to match the needs of your business with suitable apprenticeships and take the hassle out of recruiting the right candidates to fill your vacancies. Contact the Business Hub on 01452 563403 to access this free service.