Gloucestershire College celebrates third successive 'Good' Ofsted rating
Students, parents and staff at Gloucestershire College are celebrating after receiving a ‘Good’ rating across all areas, from the education watchdog Ofsted.
Inspectors, who visited the College’s Cheltenham, Gloucester and Forest of Dean Campuses during September and early October, looked at 10 areas including quality of teaching, learning and assessment, student development, behaviour and welfare, study programmes, apprenticeships and provision for high needs students.
Inspectors praised GC students, finding them “highly motivated, with good behaviour, a clear sense of purpose and a courteous attitude to peers, staff and visitors.”
The 17 page report concludes that GC teaching staff are “well qualified and experienced; they are passionate about their subject and impart their knowledge and understanding with enthusiasm.”
The College’s apprenticeships provision was one of the key areas involved in the inspection, with the report noting that GC apprentices “are professional and confident”. The report also made the following observations:
- “Liaison between the College and employers is good…employers are fully involved in reviewing apprentices’ progress and helping to set meaningful job-related targets.”
- “Apprentices benefit from helpful, developmental and constructive feedback from trainers and assessors on their progress.”
The Ofsted report highlighted a number the College’s strengths, including:
- “The College is a safe and welcoming environment.”
- “In vocational areas, students have particularly good access to well-equipped accommodation and resources.”
- “Students benefit from effective careers advice and guidance, and a broad range of work experience opportunities and work-related activities which help prepare them well for their next steps.”
Principal, Matthew Burgess said: “The report confirms that the hard work we are putting in is paying off, with students receiving even higher standards of teaching and being even better prepared for their chosen careers.”
“To achieve a ‘good’ rating across so many different areas is really a testament to our dedicated and talented staff, who are committed to giving GC students the best experience possible in their lessons, apprenticeships, college life and future careers.
“The report also highlights the motivation and good behavior of our students, and professionalism of our apprentices, all of which are a credit to the College.”
Graham Ripley, Chairman of the College’s governors said: “On behalf of the Board of Governors, I would like to thank the hard working staff for their commitment to making the College a successful and positive environment for learners.
“The entire team has played a part in achieving this outcome and they should be very proud of themselves. This underlines the fact that Gloucestershire College provides a good basis for the employability of its students, together with the needs of employers.”
In addition to its Ofsted rating, the College is also pleased to announce that it has been awarded an 'Outstanding' financial rating by the Skills Funding Agency.
The full Ofsted report is available to read at: https://goo.gl/UPM1BD