Why study on a short course at Gloucestershire College ?
The College offers a range of short courses to suit all interests. These provide the perfect opportunity to explore British culture while improving your knowledge of English in a relaxed environment. Each course is tailored to meet your own requirements.
Where will I stay?
Students stay with host families in Cheltenham or Gloucestershire. Home stays give you the chance to practice English outside class in a safe environment.
What will I study?
In addition to improving your English language skills with our dedicated teachers, you can choose either a vocational or an academic focus to your course. Our Cultural Weeks, adapted to suit your preferences, can include many, varied activities. Here are a few that students have recently enjoyed:
- Group Cooking Sessions – maybe English scones or a Cornish pasty
- Visit Oxford and Christ Church University – see where Harry Potter was filmed!
- Visit Warwick Castle and learn about British history
- Spend a thrill-filled day at Drayton Manor Theme Park and Zoo
- Visit the historic City of Bath – one of the most visited places by international tourists to see the Roman Baths and Fashion Museum just an hour away
- Visit London to see Big Ben and Buckingham Palace or ride the London Eye
- Harry Potter fans can visit Platform 9 ¾ at Kings Cross or Gloucester Cathedral and Oxford University where the films were made
- Go bike riding in the natural surroundings of the Forest of Dean
- Create your own film on English culture
- Visit the Cotswolds and have a traditional cream tea
- Visit a local food company and find out about business in the UK
- Ice Skating
- Drama Workshops
…to name but a few!
We can design courses to suit your requirements. Usually a short course will include General English lessons and, in addition, any of the following:
- specific English lessons (tailored to your chosen subject area)
- cultural visits
- vocational practical training
- activities of your choice
Using our curriculum statement and methodology our teachers tailor your short course to meet your needs.
In your lessons you will study grammar, reading, writing, listening, speaking (including pronunciation) and vocabulary. The lessons are activity based with an emphasis on real-life situations and authentic use of English. You will have opportunities to practise your spoken English through discussions, role-plays and pair work.
Short course objectives:
- To enrich your English learning experience through specific activities and exposure to British culture
- To be able to speak with greater confidence, fluency and accuracy with an increased vocabulary
- To develop your listening, reading and writing skills, particularly related to theme of your short course
- To improve your understanding of the grammatical structure of English
We can deliver short courses at any time of year (not just term time)
What will it cost?
Because each course is different and will be tailor-made to suit you or your group, pricing will vary for each course depending on your individual requirements.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information or to obtain a quotation.
Arrive in UK and transfer to Cheltenham
|Testing and orientation followed by classes||Closed English classes||
Full day trip to London including National Gallery/British Museum with late return
|Closed English classes||Closed English classes||
|Afternoon||Local visit to Cheltenham||Visit to Bath or Stratford upon Avon||Visit to Bristol and Mshed followed by dinner at ZaZaBazaar – late return||Making an afternoon tea with scones and cup cakes|
|Evening||With Family||With Family||With Family||With Family||With Family|
Media Short Course
With a language focus on media and the creative world, you could visit the famous BBC Gloucestershire, attend drama workshops or prepare a ‘soap opera’ in English, which can be filmed and then edited for presentation. Students on courses taking place during once of the many festivals for which Cheltenham is famous, e.g. the Cheltenham Literature, Science, Music or Jazz Festivals, can attend performances and workshops.
Cooking Short Course
‘GC Master Chef’ concentrates on the language and cultural aspects of cooking. You can visit Cadbury’s World chocolate factory in Birmingham, dine at a traditional English tea room, learn from demonstrations by professionals, visit a traditional English pub or create and film a cookery programme to present to judges on the last day.
History Short Course
Focuses on the language and aspects of British history. You will visit the Roman Baths in Bath, visit Gloucester Cathedral (used in the ‘Harry Potter’ films as Hogwarts school), learn about and visit the historic sites of Cheltenham, walk the Prestbury village ghost tour, Britain's most haunted village and lastly, make your own documentary comparing the different historical places visited.
Fashion Short Course
Learn about style, creativity and fashion in England. You will visit the Fashion Museum in Bath, spend a day in London visiting the Fashion and Textile Museum, perhaps do some shopping in the stylish hot spots of the capital, visit a local Fashion company to see what goes into creating a famous brand and work towards putting on your own fashion show at the end of the week, inspired by what you have seen.
Outdoor Adventure Course
Explore the British countryside and experience outdoor sports. Spend your week canoeing, bike riding, climbing, swimming, orienteering, cave exploring …and much more. Our local area has a wide variety of beautiful outdoor environments to discover.