This apprenticeship standard is suitable for teaching assistants working in Primary, Secondary and Special education across all age ranges encompassing special educational needs and emotional vulnerabilities. The primary role of the teaching assistant is to support the class teacher to enhance pupils’ learning either in groups or individually, ensuring pupils understand the work set, know their learning objectives and stay on task in order to make progress. Teaching assistants play an active role in supporting the learner to access the curriculum.
Delivery model and duration:
Training is delivered in the workplace
Duration: 18 months including end point Assessment based on 52 week year or pro rata for term time only working. Length of programme extended for those working less than 30 hrs a week.
• Teaching Assistants
• Learning Support Assistants
• Specialist Support Assistants
The apprenticeship will cover
the following core areas:
• Working with teachers to accurately assess
• Using technology
• Developing strategies for support
• Working with teachers to understand and support assessment for learning
• Keeping children safe in education
• Promoting equality, diversity and inclusion
Benefits for learners:
• Receive training from experts with years of industry experience
• Become occupationally competent
• A strong foundation for a career in the educational sector
Benefits to business:
• Your employees will gain a standard teaching assistant qualification
• Train competent staff members
• Learners will improve their knowledge, skills and behaviours
End Point Assessment
The End Point Assessment will test the entire Standard, and be undertaken as follows:
• Practical Observation - 120 minutes. Completed in the apprentice`s workplace
• Question & Answer Session - 15 minutes. Completed following the practical observation
• Professional Discussion - 90 minutes. Supported by a portfolio of evidence completed during the on-programme learning
Curriculum - An appropriate knowledge of the curriculum and context you are working in.
Understanding how pupils learn and develop - Understand the need to provide feedback to support and facilitate an appropriate level of independence. Recognise different stages of child development through school e.e transition between key stages. Comprehend appropriate levels of learning resources to identify and help address weakness, consolidate strengths and develop individualised expectations.
Technology - Recognise the importance of using appropriate technology to support learning
Developing strategies for support - Develop strategies to support and encourage pupils to move towards independent learning. Embed effective behaviour management strategies using discipline appropriately and fairly in line with the school`s policy
Working with teachers to accurately assess - Contribute to a range of assessment processes and use information effectively. Use specific feedback to help pupils make progress. Apply good subject knowledge to support accurate assessment.
Communication and team work - Works closely with teachers to ensure own contribution aligns with the teaching. Build appropriate relationships with colleagues, pupils,parents, adults and stakeholders. Undertake safeguarding training every 3 years.
Professional standards and personal accountability - Demonstrate professional relationship in line with Staff Handbook. Be diplomatic, a positive role model and maintain confidentiality. Optimise learning opportunities and reflect on their personal development.
Adding value to education - Praise; provide constructive and specific feedback and support pupils, helping them to achieve their maximum potential socially, emotionally and academically through peer marking and reflection.
Promoting equality, diversity and inclusion - Keep pupils at the centre of everything. Promote community cohesion and cultural diversity encompassing a full understanding of the school`s ethos.
Shortlist and Apply
If you would like to apply for this course, please add it to your shortlist. You may then add further courses to your shortlist or continue to complete your application.
Shortlist and Apply