This apprenticeship standard will equip apprentices with excellent customer service skills that are assets to many job roles across a number of industries such as retail, call centres, financial services, retail, hospitality and leisure. Apprentices will need to be able to communicate with a variety of people and be able to answer questions, handle complaints and give out information in a friendly and positive way.
Qualification: BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Customer Service
Successful completion will lead to eligibility to join the Institute of Customer Service as an individual member at Professional Level
Delivery model: Workplace delivery and a structured scheme of work
Duration: 12 months plus up to 3 months for end point assessment
- Customer Service Assistant
- Shop Assistant
The apprenticeship will cover the following core areas:
- Understanding internal and external customers
- Building trust with customers
- Legislation and regulatory requirements
- Organisation skills
- Understanding the customers point of view
- Personal service skills and knowledge
- Personalised customer Service
End Point Assessment
The End Point Assessment will test the entire Standard, and be undertaken as follows:
- Apprentice Showcase - The apprentice showcase is compiled after 12 months of on-programme learning. The Apprentice Showcase enables apprentices to reflect and present examples of their development over the whole on-programme period.
- Practical Observation - The practical observation will be pre-planned and scheduled to when the apprentice will be in their normal place of work and will be carried out by the Independent Assessor. The observation should enable the apprentice to evidence their skills, knowledge and behaviour from across the standard to demonstrate genuine and demanding work objectives.
- Professional Discussion - The professional discussion will be a structured discussion between the apprentice and the Independent Assessor, following the observation, to establish the apprentice’s understanding and application of knowledge, skills and behaviours. The professional discussion will need to take place in a suitable environment and should last for a maximum of one hour.
- English Functional Skills
- Mathematics Functional Skills
Benefits for learners
- Apprentices are paid at least the apprenticeship minimum wage with many employers paying more
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification that can lead to higher education as well as full time employment
- Understand Customers
- Gain genuine, consistent work experience
- Getting into employment earlier means there is potential for you to progress in your career quickly
Benefits to business
- Apprenticeships provide skilled workers for the future
- Apprenticeships increase staff loyalty and retention
- Apprenticeships increase a company`s productivity
- Apprentices can revitalise a company
Deliver Customer Service
In this unit you will learn how to deliver customer service by understanding the relationship between customer needs, expectations and customer satisfaction. You will need to understand the meaning of the terms ‘feature’ and ‘benefit’ when discussing a product or service.
You will also need to know why it is important to treat customers as individuals and why it is important to be able to balance the needs of customers with those of the organisation.
You will need to understand when and to whom you can escalate problems when delivering customer service, and understand the methods you can use to measure your own effectiveness in customer service delivery.
In this unit, you will understand the various types of customers that you will encounter in a customer service role. You will learn about what customer expectations are, how they can vary depending on social or cultural factors and what happens when expectations are not met.
You will learn the value of new and existing customers to an organisation, the importance of customer loyalty and the relationship between customer satisfaction and the overall reputation and success of an organisation. You will also understand what methods are used to attract new customers and retain their loyalty.
Principles of Customer Service
In this unit you will gain an understanding of the essential principles required to deliver good customer service. You will learn about what organisations do to ensure customer service is delivered consistently and to a high level, and what can go wrong when systems fail.
You will also learn how organisations manage and use customer information. An important component of this unit covers legislation and regulations relating to health and safety, equality, diversity and data protection, which all shape and provide the framework within which customer service should be delivered. You will learn about these laws and regulations and how they may affect customer service delivery.
Employer organisations have a wide range of purposes such as supplying goods and services, while others manufacture goods. Some organisations want to make profits to satisfy their shareholders, others have different objectives.
You will study the differences between the types of organisations in the private sector, from the small to the large national and international organisations, those controlled by the Government in the public sector and those in the voluntary sector. You will also learn how each type of organisation is set up against a specific legal structure.
Manage Personal Performance and Development
In this unit, you will learn how to participate actively in developing your personal skills. Acquiring the habit of continuously learning new skills will be useful throughout your career and will help you to adapt to change.
You will learn how to agree work objectives and the criteria for measuring success, and how to react when faced with a problem. You will learn how to use time-management tools and about ways of minimising distraction from the job in hand.
Shortlist and Apply
If you would like to apply for this course, please add it to your shortlist. You may then add further courses to your shortlist or continue to complete your application.
Shortlist and Apply