This popular on-line course is designed for learners who wish to develop an understanding of autism and how to support individuals with autism.
- Learn about what is meant by autism, theories and diagnosis
- Learn about using a person-centred approach to support individuals with autism
- Develop your understanding of communication and social interaction in individuals with autism
- Learn about sensory processing, perception and cognition in individuals with autism
- Learn how to support positive behaviour in individuals with autism
- Learn how support individuals with autism to live healthy and fulfilled lives
Who is this course for?
This qualification is designed for learners who wish to develop an understanding of autism and how to support individuals with autism for personal reason or who wish to progress into employment where an understanding of autism and knowledge of how to support people with autism is required.
Each unit contains an assessment to demonstrate your knowledge of each subject area. Once you successfully complete all units you will achieve a Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism.
Unit 1: Introduction to autism
- Understand what is meant by ‘autism’
- Know theories that relate to autism
- Know how autism is diagnosed
- Understand the characteristics that may be present in individuals with autism
- Understand common misconceptions surrounding autism.
Unit 2: Using a person-centred approach to support individuals with autism
- Know how legislation and guidance underpins support for individuals with autism
- Understand how to support individuals with autism using a person-centred approach.
Unit 3: Communication and social interaction in individuals with autism
- Understand speech, language and communication in individuals with autism
- Understand how social interaction may differ in individuals with autism
- Know strategies that are used to support communication and social interaction for individuals with autism.
Unit 4: Sensory processing, perception and cognition in individuals with autism
- Understand how individuals with autism process sensory information
- Know how to recognise and support sensory needs
- Understand the cognitive differences individuals with autism may have in processing information.
Unit 5: Supporting positive behaviour in individuals with autism
- Understand behaviour within the context of autism
- Know how to support positive behaviour
- Understand how to support individuals to develop coping strategies.
Unit 6: Supporting individuals with autism to live healthy and fulfilled lives
- Understand the experience of living with autism
- Know how to support individuals to maintain their personal safety
- Understand the purpose of positive risk-taking
- Know how to support individuals with transitions and life events
- Know how to support individuals to access services and facilities
- Know how to support individuals with employment.
10 hours per week
What Computer software will I need?
To study online you will require the following:
- An Internet enabled PC running Microsoft Windows operating system
- An active email account
- Ability to read and edit MS Word documents (DOC, DOCX) using MS Word or similar word processing software (e.g. LibreOffice). You may need additional software programs for IT courses – please contact us for more information
- Adobe Acrobat Reader or a similar PDF reader
Supported Web Browsers
The following web browsers are currently supported.
- Internet Explorer 11
- Microsoft Edge *
- Google Chrome *
- Mozilla Firefox *
* Microsoft Edge, Firefox and Chrome follow a continuous release policy. We will support the last 2 major versions of each of these browsers.
Shortlist and Apply
If you would like to apply for this course, please add it to your shortlist. You may then add further courses to your shortlist or continue to complete your application.
Shortlist and Apply