This popular FREE on-line course is designed to increase knowledge and awareness of children and young peoples mental health.
Who is this course for?
People looking for a qualification to help them develop their knowledge of mental health in children and young people, for personal reasons or to support progression onto further qualifications and into relevant employment in the health and social care or education sectors.
- Learn about children and young people's mental health in context
- Explore factors which may affect children and young people's mental health
- Develop your awareness of children and young people's mental health concerns and the impact of these concerns
- Learn how to support children and young people with mental health concerns
Each unit contains an assessment to demonstrate your knowledge of each subject area. Once you successfully complete all units you will achieve a Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Children and Young People's Mental Health.
Unit 1: Understand children and young people’s mental health in context
- Understand the concept of mental health
- Know the legislation and guidance that applies to children and young people's mental health
- Understand how society views mental health
Unit 2: Understand factors which may affect children and young people's mental health
- Understand risk factors which may affect the mental well-being of children and young people
- Understand the potential effects of puberty and developmental changes on the mental health of children and young people
- Understand how abuse or bullying may affect the mental health of a child or young person.
Unit 3: Understand children and young people's mental health concerns
- Understand behaviour that is associated with mental health concerns in children and young people
- Understand stress and anxiety in children and young people
- Understand depression in children and young people
- Know about specific mental health conditions that children and young people may experience.
Unit 4: Understand the impact of children and young people's mental health concerns
- Understand the impact mental health concerns can have on children and young people
- Understand the impact of children and young people’s mental health problems on others
- Understand the importance of being diagnosed with a mental health problem.
Unit 5: Understand how to support children and young people with mental health concerns
- Understand person-centred approaches to supporting children and young people with mental health concerns
- Understand how to promote mental well- being in children and young people
- Understand services and treatment involved with children and young people's mental health.
10 hours per week
What Computer software will I need?
To study online you will require the following:
- An Internet enabled PC running Microsoft Windows operating system
- An active email account
- Ability to read and edit MS Word documents (DOC, DOCX) using MS Word or similar word processing software (e.g. LibreOffice). You may need additional software programs for IT courses – please contact us for more information
- Adobe Acrobat Reader or a similar PDF reader
Supported Web Browsers
The following web browsers are currently supported.
- Internet Explorer 11
- Microsoft Edge *
- Google Chrome *
- Mozilla Firefox *
* Microsoft Edge, Firefox and Chrome follow a continuous release policy. We will support the last 2 major versions of each of these browsers.
Shortlist and Apply
If you would like to apply for this course, please add it to your shortlist. You may then add further courses to your shortlist or continue to complete your application.
Shortlist and Apply