This FREE on-line nationally accredited qualification provides a broad and balanced introduction to help you develop a career in the health sector.
- Learn about best practice for a wide range of health sector roles
- Improve your communication skills to enhance interactions with service users
- Formalise your understanding and knowledge of your current healthcare role
- Gain industry-relevant skills and take your first steps into the health sector
Each unit contains an assessment to demonstrate your knowledge of each subject area. Once you successfully complete all units you will achieve a Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Working in the Health Sector.
Unit 1: Understand the role of the healthcare worker
- Exploring a work role in a healthcare setting
- Understanding working relationships in a healthcare setting
- The importance of working in ways that are agreed with the employer
- The importance of working in partnership with others in healthcare settings
- The limits of own expertise and knowledge and when to refer to others
- How to present a positive image of self, organisation and service.
Unit 2: Communication skills for working in the health sector
- How to promote effective communication
- How to meet the communication needs of individuals
- How to maintain accurate and complete records
- How to maintain confidentiality.
Unit 3: Personal development in the health sector
- How to identify own personal development needs
- Ways to support own personal development
- How a personal development plan can contribute to own learning and development
Unit 4: Health, safety and security in the health sector
- How to assist in maintaining a healthy, safe and secure working environment consistent with legislation and organisational policies and procedures
- The use of risk assessments in relation to health and safety
- How to reduce the spread of infections in healthcare settings
- How to summon immediate help in an emergency
- The need for, and ways of reporting incidents related to health, safety and security.
Unit 5: Understand quality standards that apply in healthcare settings
- Quality standards that apply to healthcare settings
- How quality standards are monitored, evaluated and maintained in the health sector
- How to use resources efficiently to support quality standards.
Unit 6: Equality and diversity in the health sector
- The importance of diversity, equality and inclusion
- How legislation and codes of practice support equality and diversity
- How to work in ways that support equality and diversity
- How to access information, advice and support about diversity, equality, inclusion and discrimination.
10 hours per week
No existing qualification required
What computer software will I need?
- An Internet enabled desktop / laptop PC.
- An active email account.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar PDF reader.
- The ability to read / edit Microsoft Word documents using Word or similar (e.g. LibreOffice).
Note: You will specifically need a recent full version (including Excel & PowerPoint) of Microsoft Office for our IT courses.
Supported web browsers
The following browsers are currently supported which all follow a continuous release policy. We will support the latest 2 major versions of each.
- Microsoft Edge
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
Shortlist and Apply
If you would like to apply for this course, please add it to your shortlist. You may then add further courses to your shortlist or continue to complete your application.
Shortlist and Apply