This FREE on-line qualification will provide you an understanding of the impact that food and diet has on health and gain a nutrition-related qualification as an addition to your current skillset.
- Learn about how diet affects a person’s health, focusing on the five major food groups
- Gain a practical insight into effective weight management
- Understand more about different types of eating disorders
- Discover how nutritional needs vary according to an individual’s age
Each unit contains an assessment to demonstrate your knowledge of each subject area. Once you successfully complete all units you will achieve a Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health.
Unit 1: The principles of healthy eating
- Linking diet and health
- Components of a healthy diet
- The role of nutrients
- Principles of healthy food preparation.
Unit 2: The nutritional needs of individuals
- Nutritional needs of children and young people
- Nutritional needs of older people
- Special dietary requirements
- Barriers to healthy eating.
Unit 3: Planning a healthy diet
- Understanding food labelling
- Understanding food additives
- Applying principles of healthy eating.
Unit 4: Principles of weight management
- Risks associated with ineffective weight management
- Body image and weight management
- Planning a short-term weight management programme.
Unit 5: Understanding eating disorders
- Different eating disorders
- Causes of eating disorders
- How eating disorders affect the individual and others
- Managing eating disorders.
Unit 6: Principles of food safety for the home environment
- Handling food safely
- Personal hygiene when handling food
- Storing food safely
- Effect of food storage on nutritional value
- Keeping food work areas clean
- Checking food is cooked to the correct temperature
- Disposing of food waste safely.
10 hours per week
No existing qualification required
What computer software will I need?
To study online with vision2learn you will require the following:
- An Internet enabled PC running Microsoft Windows operating system
- An active email account
- Microsoft Word or a similar word processing software program. (You may need additional software programs for IT courses – please contact us for more information.)
- Adobe Reader
- Adobe Flash Player (version 9.0 or higher)
Supported web browsers
We currently support the following web browsers.
- Internet Explorer 11
- Microsoft Edge *
- Google Chrome *
- Mozilla Firefox *
* Microsoft Edge, Firefox and Chrome follow a continuous release policy. We will support the last 2 major versions of each of these browsers.
Shortlist and Apply
If you would like to apply for this course, please add it to your shortlist. You may then add further courses to your shortlist or continue to complete your application.
Shortlist and Apply