This FREE on-line course provides all health workers with fundamental knowledge of how to control the cause and spread of infection in hospitals and other settings reliant on superior hygiene standards.
- Develop vitally important skills to prepare you for a role in the sector
- Understand the concepts of decontamination and waste management – and the consequences of not carrying out these processes
- Learn about infection prevention and control in a range of healthcare settings and scenarios to help you contextualise your learning
- Gain industry-relevant knowledge and give your CV a boost
Each unit contains an assessment to demonstrate your knowledge of each subject area. Once you successfully complete all units you will achieve a Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings.
Unit 1: The causes and spread of infection
- How infection is caused
- How infection can spread
- The ‘chain of infection’
- The importance of recognising Healthcare Associated Infections (HCAI).
Unit 2: Principles of personal hygiene and health
- Personal hygiene at work
- Personal protective equipment.
Unit 3: Decontamination, cleaning and waste management
- Maintaining a clean environment
- Roles and responsibilities in decontamination
- The decontamination process
- The sterilisation process
- Handling laundry
- Effective waste management
- Sharps management.
Unit 4: Principles of infection prevention and control
- The purpose of infection control
- Regulations, policy and practice
- Roles and responsibilities in infection control
- Risk assessments
- Principles of infection control procedures.
10 hours per week
No existing qualification required
What computer software will I need?
To study online with vision2learn you will require the following:
- An Internet enabled PC running Microsoft Windows operating system
- An active email account
- Microsoft Word or a similar word processing software program. (You may need additional software programs for IT courses – please contact us for more information.)
- Adobe Reader
- Adobe Flash Player (version 9.0 or higher)
Supported web browsers
We currently support the following web browsers.
- Internet Explorer 11
- Microsoft Edge *
- Google Chrome *
- Mozilla Firefox *
* Microsoft Edge, Firefox and Chrome follow a continuous release policy. We will support the last 2 major versions of each of these browsers.
Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
Shortlist and Apply
If you would like to apply for this course, please add it to your shortlist. You may then add further courses to your shortlist or continue to complete your application.
Shortlist and Apply