Employers urgently needed for top Cyber Degree Apprenticeship candidates
Gloucestershire College currently has over 20 outstanding candidates who have been offered a conditional place on our Cyber Degree Apprenticeship course and are looking for an employer to start their cyber-career with.
The Cyber Degree Apprenticeship is a three-and-a-half-year programme delivered in partnership with the University of the West of England (UWE), who themselves have cyber training programmes accredited by the NCSC.
“In order to prevent these talented individuals from leaving Gloucestershire, we need businesses to provide them with cyber roles within their organisation so they can start their degree apprenticeship. Whilst we very much understand there are currently a lot of businesses who are not in the position to recruit, we strongly urge those that are to step forward.” Andy Bates, Vice Principal and CFO, Gloucestershire College
The candidates will undoubtedly make their mark in the cyber industry. As part of our rigorous screening process for the degree programme, we asked them why they want a career in cyber. Their responses demonstrate the level of passion and dedication we have seen:
“I believe that cyber security is the future. Compared to all other related IT roles, this is the only one that really ignites the flame for me.”
“I have had a strong interest in computing and have found myself intrigued primarily by cyber security. With my work ethic and ability to learn, I believe cyber is the way for me for my desired career path. It allows me to give back to the ever-expanding cyber world.”
“I want to make a difference and help protect companies from experiencing data theft by ensuring that their data is secured.”
“In 2017, a global cyberattack known as WannaCry crippled the NHS, costing them 92m pounds. As a result, stroke centres were closed, and surgeries postponed. Following this through the news, my curiosity in cyber security and the prevention of cyber-crime grew.”
“When I was younger it was because I loved the idea of being a spy, but as I have become older I realised I wanted to protect people against cyber-attacks because it will make a difference in people’s lives.”
“I like the ever-changing nature of Cyber Security because that means you are always learning, and the job never becomes stale. Furthermore, I enjoy learning more about computer systems, how they interact and how to defend and attack them.”
How will hiring a cyber degree apprentice benefit my business?
- It is a low-cost way to bring new talent into your organisation – recruitment is free and the training is funded either by your levy, or you pay just 5% of the bill (the government funds the rest)
- What they learn will be tailored to your business – the programmes you use and the challenges you face
- It will change your business for the better – 78% of employers report improved productivity after recruiting an apprentice
- The UK has one of the most vibrant digital economies in the world; however, there is not currently the tech skills base to match. Hiring an experienced cyber professional can be very challenging as they’re in high demand, not to mention expensive. It’s far more effective to grow your own talent in house through apprenticeships.
- Cybercrime is the number one threat to all UK businesses. Whether you are in the cyber industry or not, the security of your business should be your highest priority.
- You’ll be in safe hands as Gloucestershire College is the leading provider of apprenticeships in the county; working with over 1,000 of Gloucestershire’s best businesses to deliver award-winning apprenticeships.
- Your business will stay ahead of the game. Our degree course is cutting edge, meaning your apprentice will bring the latest skills and knowledge into your business to future proof your systems.
- We have passionate, talented candidates who are full of potential and ready to join a business like yours. We screen and interview all our candidates so we can make sure they are the right fit for your business.
If you think you could be in the position to recruit a cyber degree apprentice from September and would like further information on what’s involved, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you can.