5 Things You Need to Know About Apprenticeships
Apprenticeships have hugely changed over the last 10 years and are more in-demand than ever.
Here are 5 things to know about apprenticeships:
1. They’re not just for trade jobs: although we offer apprenticeships in trade jobs, like construction and hairdressing, you’ll find a wide range of apprenticeships in all sorts of industries. They can help kick-start your career in dental nursing, computing, marketing and engineering to name a few. In fact, at GC, we offer apprenticeships across 17 sectors.
2. Apprenticeships are a real start on a career path: 9 out of 10 GC apprentices stay with the same employer after finishing their apprenticeship and 1 in 4 are promoted. With apprenticeships available all the way up to degree-level qualifications, you can continue your studies while building on your experience with a reputable company.
3. They’re for those who are work-ready: a long time ago, apprenticeships were not always seen as the first-choice of all of the progression options. Today, only the very best students start apprenticeships and it can be highly competitive. Our business hub and the employer interview all candidates to find those that are already showing signs of being work-ready.
4. You can gain a degree: higher apprenticeships can be a debt-free route to a degree. The employer will pay you while you study, there are no tuition fees and you won’t need to take out a student loan. You can study Level 4 (equivalent to HNCs) to Level 6 (equivalent to a degree) qualifications with GC.
5. There is a minimum wage: the minimum wage for apprenticeships is £3.90 per hour. If you’re 19 or over, you’ll be paid the national minimum wage, or more, after your first year.
Find out more about apprenticeships at our Apprenticeship Open Evening: Wednesday 18 March, 5.00pm-8.00pm.