Adult Summer School (17+*) July - August
*Students can join the adult class from 16, but this will be assessed on an individual basis to determine which course would be most appropriate.
Why study on the adult summer school?
The Adult Summer school is held at Gloucestershire College’s Cheltenham campus, located in the beautiful English town of Cheltenham on the edge of the rolling Cotswold hills. The town dates back to the 18th Century – so it contains fine examples of Regency period architecture. In contrast, the college campus is a modern building situated 4.5 km from the town centre, giving easy access to Cheltenham’s many stylish shops, bars and restaurants, as well as its museums, theatres and parks. Known for its numerous festivals and events organised throughout the year, many of which are free to attend, the town centre is a lively place both day and night.
The town is also within easy reach of several major UK cities: London, Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, Bath and Oxford – students on the summer school will have the opportunity to visit some of these cities on excursions organised by the College and will also have free time to explore these places on their own.
Cheltenham has a reputation for being one of the safest towns in the UK for students. Safety is a prime consideration at Gloucestershire College and is of paramount importance for our students while on campus, on excursions and with host families. All in all, it’s the perfect place to study English in a truly English environment.
The emphasis is on making learning English fun, so students can expect a varied and interesting time during lessons taught by our team of qualified and dedicated teachers. The courses, which can be joined at any time and for any length of time, comprise small groups of learners of similar ability. Typically, there is a good mix of nationalities in each class, giving learners the opportunity to make new friends and meet people from around the globe.
- Morning lessons usually concentrate on developing the students’ knowledge of English through a wide variety of interactive activities: lessons typically involve roleplay or language games in a relaxed, fun atmosphere.
- Afternoon classes offer a number of options, from exam-focused courses for those intending to take IELTS or other English-language exams, to hands-on activities, such as English cookery classes or art.
- Evening activities are organised during the week, such as a cinema or restaurant visit, or a game of English “skittles”! Usually, there are also two excursions per week, one a half-day visit locally, one a full-day visit (on Saturdays).
Care of students
The level of care you can expect as a student is outlined here:
- Appointed Safeguarding Lead – to ensure we operate in a responsible and caring way to safeguard (look after) your wellbeing on all levels
- All members of staff undergo a police check (DBS)
- All homestay providers hosting under 18’s undergo a police check (DBS)
- Staff are trained in the safeguarding of under 18’s
- Designated staff responsible for student well-being
- We take email and telephone contact details for the parents or guardians of all under-18s
- Parental consent forms are required for all students (under 18’s) attending the Junior Summer School (these are available on request in advance)
- Trained first aiders on each premises
- Social programmes will contain activities appropriate to the age of students. Risk assessments will be carried out on all activities .Wherever practical, under-18s on off-site activities will be accompanied by more than one member of staff.
- Friendly and approachable staff
Summer School Dates and Costs
Adults (16+) – 3rd July to 26th August 2017
Dates start and finish on Sunday, the travel day.
|Course and length||Course cost - £ GBP||Accommodation
- £ GBP
|Total - £ GBP|
|Adults 2 weeks||740||30 + 330||1100|
|Adults 3 weeks||1025||30 + 495||1550|
|Adults 4 weeks||1285||30 + 660||1975|
|Adults (16+) 5 weeks||1520||30 + 825||2375|
|Adults (16+) 6 weeks||1730||30 + 990||2750|
|Adults (16+) 7 weeks||1900||30 + 1155||3085|
|Adults (16+) 8 weeks||2040||30 + 1320||3390|
Courses include 18 hours (24 lessons) for Adults. Course materials, transport for day trips, full activities programme, learning facilities and administration charges are included. Airport transfers are not included but can be arranged. Host family accommodation is full board (packed lunch) and includes light laundry. £30 accommodation search fee.
Sample Week Timetable
|Morning||Testing and Induction||English Classes||English Classes||English Classes||English Classes|
|Afternoon||Town tour including visit to Museum and Wilson Gallery||English Classes||English Classes||Half day excursion to the Cotswolds including Broadway Tower and Snowshill||Cookery Class - Culture Exchange||Full day trip to London||Day wtih Family|
|Evening||With Family||Group visit to historic pub||Skittles evening||With Family||Evening Meal||With Family||With Family|
Sports and Leisure Facilities
The Cheltenham campus of Gloucestershire College enjoys a number of modern sport and leisure facilities, including:
- Outside football/basketball/netball court
- Dance studios
- Choice of catering facilities and social areas
- Catering kitchens for cooking lessons
- Excursions, trips and daily activities
Safety is a priority to us at Gloucestershire College and we are pleased that Cheltenham has recently been ranked one of the safest towns in the UK for students.
Our students study in safe and caring environments while they are on campus, with our host families and on excursions.