Adult Summer School (17+*)
29th June - 28th August 2020
Cheltenham (for independent and group bookings)
*Students can join the adult class from 16, but this will be assessed on an individual basis to determine which course would be most appropriate.
We have been proudly welcoming students from all over the globe (over 35 different nationalities) for many years. Our multi-national Summer School creates a safe, friendly environment for our students to meet and learn about each other's culture. Lifelong friendships are made here, alongside the life skills that studying abroad always brings. Culturally enriching and fun - Summer Schools are all about learning English, making new friends and experiencing British culture.
Why choose GC?
The Adult Summer school is held at Gloucestershire College’s Cheltenham campus, located in the beautiful English town of Cheltenham on the edge of the rolling Cotswold hills. The town dates back to the 18th Century – so it contains fine examples of Regency period architecture. In contrast, the college campus is a modern building situated 4.5 km from the town centre, giving easy access to Cheltenham’s many stylish shops, bars and restaurants, as well as its museums, theatres and parks. Known for its numerous festivals and events organised throughout the year, many of which are free to attend, the town centre is a lively place both day and night.
The town is also within easy reach of several major UK cities: London, Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, Bath and Oxford – students on the summer school will have the opportunity to visit some of these cities on excursions organised by the College and will also have free time to explore these places on their own.
Cheltenham has a reputation for being one of the safest towns in the UK for students. Safety is a prime consideration at Gloucestershire College and is of paramount importance for our students while on campus, on excursions and with host families. All in all, it’s the perfect place to study English in a truly English environment.
Students can study for 2-9 weeks. The emphasis is on making learning English fun, so students can expect a varied and interesting time during lessons taught by our team of qualified and dedicated teachers. The courses comprise of small groups of learners of similar ability. Typically, there is a good mix of nationalities in each class, giving learners the opportunity to make new friends and meet people from around the globe.
- Morning English Language classes - concentrating on developing students’ knowledge of English through a wide variety of interactive activities; lessons typically involve role play or language games in a relaxed, fun atmosphere.
- Afternoon classes - offering a number of options, from exam-focused courses for those intending to take IELTS or other English-language exams, to hands-on activities, such as English cookery classes or art.
- Evening activities - various evening activities are organised during the week, such as a cinema or restaurant visit, or a game of English “skittles”!
- Excursions - there are usually two excursions per week, one half-day visit and one full-day visit to major cities and attractions across the UK.
- Full board accommodation - in one of our carefully selected nearby homestay families, with breakfast, packed lunch and dinner provided.
- Afternoon activities - pay-as-you go optional activities (availability dependent on minimum sign up numbers)
The Cheltenham campus of Gloucestershire College enjoy a number of modern sport and leisure facilities, including:
- Outside football/basketball/netball court
- Dance studios
- Choice of catering facilities and social areas
- Number ONE restaurant
- Catering kitchens for cooking lessons
- Modern library with iMacs and computers
2020/21 Adult Summer School Sample Week
Transfer/Day with Family
|Testing and orientation||English classes||
|English classes||English classes||
Full day trip to London, including London Eye, Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Shopping in Oxford Street
|Afternoon||Local visit to Cheltenham||English classes||Visit to the Cotswolds, including Broadway Tower and Snowshill||Cooking workshop (optional pay-as-you-go)|
|Evening||With Family||Traditional pub group vist (optional pay-as-you-go)||Skittles evening (optional pay-as-you-go)||With Family||With Family|
2019/20 Summer School Dates and Costs
Adults (16+) – 29th June - 28th August 2020
Dates start and finish on Sunday, the travel day.
|Course and length||Course cost - £ GBP||Accommodation and Search Fee (£30)
- £ GBP
|Total - £ GBP|
Courses include 18 hours (24 lessons) for Adults. Course materials, transport for day trips, optional pay-as-you go activities programme, learning facilities and administration charges are included. Airport transfers are not included but can be arranged. Host family accommodation is full board (packed lunch) and includes light laundry. £30 accommodation search fee.
Safety is a priority to us at Gloucestershire College and we are pleased that Cheltenham has recently been ranked one of the safest towns in the UK for students.
Our students study in safe and caring environments while they are on campus, with our host families and on excursions.