This is a first stage teaching course to enable students to teach English as a Foreign Language. It is internationally recognised and validated by the University of Cambridge local examinations syndicate. Gloucestershire College is a member of English UK, UKCISA and is accredited by the British Council.
We offer full-time courses over just 4 weeks, and part-time courses (1 afternoon and 1 evening a week over 17 weeks plus holidays).
The course is essentially practical; all input, written work and teaching practice is focused on the needs of the teacher in the classroom. Students must complete six hours teaching practice and a minimum of six hours observation of EFL lecturers in the classroom. Small groups of students are assigned to an experienced lecturer and regular classes.
The aim of the course is to develop:
- practical awareness of the learners (their needs, motivation and difficulties)
- language (grammar, phonology, functions and meaning)
- materials (course, reference and resource books and authentic material)
- practical ability in classroom management and lesson planning, introduction and practice of a new language, development of skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening.
Full-time: Students must be available from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm for teaching practice and input sessions.
- 18th Sept 17 – 13th Oct 17 (4 weeks)
- 30th Oct 17 – 24th Nov 17 (4 weeks)
Part-time: Students must be available for Wednesday afternoon teaching practice and Thursday evening input sessions.
- 6th Sept 17 - 25th Jan 2018