Technical Certificate for Cutting and Styling Services Level 2
This course aims to provide you with a range of essential practical skills and knowledge, which will equip you to seek further training or employment as a junior stylist providing cutting and styling services within the hairdressing industry.
You will study:
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Style, set and dress hair
- Cut hair using basic techniques
- Plait and twist hair
- Principles of hairdressing and barbering services
- Hairdressing Theory
- Customer Service
- Health and Safety
Alongside these vocational subjects students will be expected to undertake:
- Industry related work placement externally
- Maths and English
- Independent study where Students will undertake independent learning to enhance their understanding of the vocationally related theory.
- Charity, community and voluntary events often related to Hair and Beauty which may be in addition to your timetabled hours.
- Seminars, workshops with industry employers and suppliers
- Trips and visits (Costs TBC).
- In house, regional and national competition work
Graduations at all of our Gloucestershire College Campuses offer learners the chance to train in facilities which are industry standard and will enable you to develop your skills in client consultation, customer service and current treatment techniques giving you the confidence to give pre and after treatment/service advice using a variety of professional ranges such as Wella, American Crew, OPI and Dermalogica.
Throughout your training programme you will be required to carry out treatments on your peers to develop your skills and take paying clients to gain the widest possible range of experiences and employability skills.
How will I be assessed?
· Final exam covering all mandatory units. Marked externally.
· Synoptic assessment during the final term, containing a practical based task or skill
· Formative assessments which are undertaken on paying clients.
· A Portfolio of Evidence/Service Log to demonstrate progress
· Written assignments, tests and projects
As in a professional salon, students will be expected to give our clients the highest possible customer care and portray a professional image and are required to wear a salon uniform whilst in the salons.
All students are expected to purchase a uniform and full kit, two weeks before the course starts. Order forms will be provided prior to the start of the course.
There are supplementary costs for material, books, course trips and visits. Financial assistance may be available. Please enquire at Student Services.
At Gloucestershire College we want students to develop their English and maths skills so that they achieve their learning goals and future career aims. For this reason all full-time students who have not achieved grade A* to C English language or maths GCSE will study these subjects as part of their course.
Cutting and Styling Services
Choose a Campus
Forest of Dean
Shortlist and Apply
Please select the specific course you would like to apply for.