This course will introduce you to the word of Hair and Beauty. Best suited for 16 to 18 year old students it will give you the chance to develop your basic hair and beauty skills, whilst at the same time developing your Maths and English and interpersonal skills, all vital ingredients in enabling you to progress on to Level 2 in either Hair or Beauty in your second year.
- Shampooing and conditioning
- Blow drying
- Plaiting and twisting
- Skin care
- Basic Manicure Techniques
- Related Hair and Beauty Theory
- Customer Service
- Health and Safety
- English and Maths
Yr. 2: You will choose to continue with either Hairdressing or Beauty Therapy at Level 2.
Alongside these vocational subjects students will be expected to undertake:
- Work Related Activity which may include volunteering, assisting in salons etc.
- Character Development
- Independent study where Students will undertake independent learning to enhance their understanding of the vocationally related theory.
- Charity, community and voluntary events often related to Hair and Beauty which may be in addition to your timetabled hours.
- Seminars, workshops with industry employers and suppliers
- Trips and visits (Costs TBC).
- In house competition work
Graduations at all of our Gloucestershire College Campus’s and Graduations at No 9, our High Street Salon, offer learners the chance to train in facilities which are industry standard and will enable you to develop your skills in client consultation, customer service, current treatment techniques giving you the confidence to give pre and after treatment/service advice using a variety of professional ranges such as Wella, American Crew, OPI and Dermalogica. Throughout your training programme you will be required to carry out treatments on your peers to develop your skills and take paying clients to gain the widest possible range of experiences and employability skills. As in a professional salon, students will be expected to give our clients the highest possible customer care and portray a professional image and are required to wear a salon uniform whilst in the salons.
How will I be assessed?
- Continual assessment throughout the course
- Oral questioning
- Written assignments and projects
- Practical assessments
- A Portfolio of Evidence
All students are expected to purchase a uniform and full kit, two weeks before the course starts.
There are supplementary costs for material, books, course trips and visits. Financial assistance may be available. Please enquire at with Student Service.
At Gloucestershire College we want students to develop their English and maths skills so that they achieve their learning goals and future career aims. For this reason all full-time students who have not achieved grade A* to C English language or maths GCSE will study these subjects as part of their course.
Hair and Beauty
Choose a Campus
Forest of Dean
Shortlist and Apply
Please select the specific course you would like to apply for.