This course is ideal for those wanting a career change and wish to enter the creative world of hairdressing. This course will introduce you to a range of creative hairdressing techniques.
You will study:
- Shampooing and conditioning
- Conditioning treatments
- A variety of setting techniques
- Blow drying
- Basic cutting techniques
- Basic colouring techniques including foiling
- Plaiting and twisting
- Hairdressing theory
- Customer service
- Health and safety
- Promotion of products and services
Alongside these subjects delivered in college, students will need to be able to commit themselves to an additional 4-5 hours per week undertaking:
- Independent study at home where Students will undertake independent learning to enhance their understanding of the vocationally related theory and complete assignments and study for exams.
- Practice of services at home to develop your skills and help prepare you for assessment.
You may also be asked to participate voluntarily in charity, community and voluntary events often related to Hair and Beauty. This could be things such as fashion shows etc.
Throughout your training programme you will be required to receive and carry out treatments on your peers to develop your skills and take paying clients to gain the widest possible range of experiences and employability skills.
How will I be assessed?
- Continual assessment throughout the course
- Oral questioning
- Written assignments and projects
- Online tests
- Practical assessments which are undertaken on paying clients.
- A Portfolio of Evidence Quality Sampling takes place by the Awarding Body. This may be in the first term or towards the end of the Academic year. If you are selected you would need to ensure that your portfolio is submitted and you may need to attend a practical EQA sampling session to gain your qualification.
There are supplementary costs for material, books, course trips and visits. Financial assistance may be available. Please enquire at Student Services.
All students are expected to purchase a uniform and full kit, two weeks before the course starts. Order forms will be provided prior to the start of the course.
As in a professional salon, students will be expected to give our clients the highest possible customer care and portray a professional image and are required to wear a salon uniform whilst in the salons.
Choose a Campus
Shortlist and Apply
Please select the specific course you would like to apply for.