Our tutor will discuss the teaching plan for the term which will be based on:
- An introduction to materials and equipment, advice on what and where to buy (see below)
- Introduction to basic drawing techniques; continuous line, basic measuring techniques, mark making, tonal drawing (shade and shadow) using graphite
- Learn basic watercolour techniques
- Watercolour mixing using colour charts
- Develop watercolour techniques including wet-in-wet, resist methods, flat and graded washes
If you choose to enrol on further terms you will also be introduced to:
- Acrylic painting techniques
- Acrylic colour mixing, application and tools to use
- Explore different surfaces suitable for acrylic
These classes are suitable for all abilities so if you are new to painting and drawing or already have some experience everyone is welcome.
You are asked to bring to class soft pencils, 2B, 4B, etc and an A3 cartridge paper sketch pad. There will be additional expenses of around £15 to build your stock of artist materials - this will be discussed at the first class.
Your tutor will regularly review your activities and offer support and guidance. You will be encouraged to identify small realistic and achievable goals to work towards during the course and will be asked to keep a learning log to monitor your progress and achievement within the group. There is no qualification associated with this course.
Throughout the course we will give you some tasks to practice at home to further develop your skills. Having a personal sketchbook lets you capture moments when you are inspired to draw.
On occasions our tutor will lead independent study sessions at local special places of interest where you can put your new found skills to practice. Previous trips have included The Wilson Art Gallery and Museum in Cheltenham and Gloucester Cathedral. The success of these trips is testament to the pleasure this learning brings and new friendships forged.
Gloucestershire College main sites have café facilities, so you might like to enjoy a drink or light snack before the start of your class. Water only is allowed in the classrooms.
Drawing & Painting
Choose a Start Date
9 January 2018 at 7:00 pm finishes 9:00 pm
17 April 2018 at 7:00 pm finishes 9:00 pm
Shortlist and Apply
Please select the specific course you would like to apply for.