Bricklayers build and repair solid and cavity walls, block work, chimney stacks, and decorative stonework like archways. You might also refurbish brickwork and masonry on restoration projects.
As a bricklayer the projects you work on can range from a house extension to a large commercial development.
If you enjoy doing practical things and you are interested in construction, this could be the perfect job for you.
As a bricklayer, your work would include:
- Measuring the work area and setting out the first rows of bricks (courses) and the damp course
- Mixing mortar by hand or with a mechanical mixer
- Shaping and trimming bricks using hammers, chisels and power tools
- Checking that courses are straight using water or laser spirit levels and plumb lines
To become a qualified bricklayer you will need to have:
- Good practical skills
- The ability to read plans
- The ability to work in a well organised and accurate way
- An awareness of safety issues, especially when working at heights and carrying loads
- The ability to work as part of a team and with other tradespeople
- A good level of fitness
Salary range: £15,000 - £30,000+ for an average 38 to 42 hours per week.
This apprenticeship programme is for one day per week in college over 2 years.
Steel toe capped shoes/boots and sturdy clothing to protect your body will be required.
This course is designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge to work in a real construction environment.
Elements of the apprenticeship
- Level 2 Diploma and Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Bricklaying
- Functional Skills: Level 1 English and Level 1 Mathematics
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills.
Delivery model and duration
- This apprenticeship will take 24 months to complete
- Students will be required to spend one day per week in college
- Students may need to attend additional workshops to complete their Functional Skills
- Assessment takes place in the workplace (a number of visits will be scheduled)
- Time will be required off the job to complete college work.
Choose a Course Variant
Shortlist and Apply
Please select the specific course you would like to apply for.